Tuesday, April 29, 2008

MLIS here I come!

Yesterday was my last day of graduate school, though it will still be a week before I officially graduate, and I am very excited but a little sad. This graduation is much different from my undergraduate graduation. First, I don't have to move to a new place. Second, I'm not walking with a bunch of people I don't know to be handed a diploma holder w/o a diploma by someone I don't know and who would butcher my new name (side note: I am glad that I did the whole ceremony thing for my Bachelor's degree but I am not, in general, a ceremony type of person). Third, I am employed and therefore feel like a contributing member of the family even if it is still only part-time and not what I want to do with the rest of my life. Despite the difference, though, there are still a lot of the same apprehensions. First, I don't have a job as a librarian and I keep hearing horror stories about graduates that can't find jobs. Ack! I haven't let myself think about this too much since I haven't technically even graduated yet. Second, I've spent so much of my life in school (counting preschool, its been about 21 years) and, while I am excited to start a new chapter in my life, I am a bit sad to be leaving school. Now I have to do actual work, but at least I will get paid instead of paying an institution of learning for the privilege of homework.

For now I am focusing on finding a job, reading as much as I want, and looking forward to our honeymoon/happy graduation vacation to Cancun. And in a week I will officially be a librarian even if I am not getting paid to be one.

No comments: